Phonics Curriculum Overview
At The West Grantham Church of England Primary Academy we use a synthetic phonics programme called ‘Read Write Inc’ produced by Ruth Miskin. Read Write Inc is a method centred around letter sounds and phonics, blending them together to read and write words and using these learnt sounds in their reading and writing. In EYFS and KS1 children will follow a daily phonic programme to create fluent, enthusiastic readers, confident speakers and willing writers.
Using RWI, the children learn to read effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into comprehending what they read. It also allows them to spell effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into composing what they write.
When using RWI to read the children will;
- Learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts (this begins in Nursery where the first 30 sounds are taught).
- Learn to read words using Fred Talk
- Read lively stories featuring words they have learned to sound out
When using RWI to write the children will:
- Learn to write the letters/letter groups which represent 44 sounds.
- Learn to write words by saying the sounds in Fred Talk
- Write simple sentences
On the Ruth Miskin website you will be able to watch a selection of short video clips that will support your pronunciation of the ‘pure’ sounds, and provide tutorials on how to support your child in learning to read www.ruthmiskin.com